10 July 2007

Microsoft's Largest Launch - Ever!

Microsoft announces today (July 10th) that Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008, and Visual Studio 2008 (formerly code-named "Orcas") will be officially launched together on February 27th, 2008.  Although it appears that Visual Studio 2008 is still set for release later this year, I have to say I'm a little surprised (although not too much) by the release date.  I had the impression these tools would be available a little sooner than this since the 2007 PDC in Los Angeles was canceled with this message:

We are currently in the process of rescheduling this fall’s Professional Developer Conference. As the PDC is the definitive developer event focused on the future of the Microsoft platform, we try to align it to be in front of major platform milestones. By this fall, however, upcoming platform technologies including Windows Server 2008, SQL Server codenamed “Katmai,” Visual Studio codenamed “Orcas” and Silverlight will already be in developers’ hands and approaching launch...

At any rate, I will definitely be ready to start using Visual Studio 2008 as soon as it's available.  And, since Visual Studio 2008 is planned to be released along with a "go-live" license, I may start using it a lot sooner than that.

You can read more here and here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are LAUNCH dates, not RELEASE dates. The products will all be launched prior to this date, according to Scott Guthrie.

Unknown said...

Good point. Thanks for the heads up. I've updated the post to reflect this.

Anonymous said...

HI,

I was stuck as my environment has TFS 2008. I would really love to see the 20008 version of TFSINFO coming up....

Unknown said...

Mani,

I posted the 2008 version of TFSInfo a while back. Check it out here... http://devmatter.blogspot.com/2008/10/tfsinfo-updated-for-tfs-2008-sp1.html.

Post a Comment